6.4 Reporting results of REDD+ activities
According to decision 14/CP.19 , data and information relating to implementation of REDD+ activities should be provided through Biennial Update Reports (BUR) on a voluntary basis in the context of accessing results based payments. Parties seeking results-based payments, that have already completed the technical assessment of their FREL/FRL, are requested to submit a REDD+ technical annex to the BUR, which should present the data and information used in the estimation of anthropogenic forest-related emissions by sources and removals by sinks, forest carbon stocks, and forest carbon stock and forest-area changes compared on a consistent basis with the established and assessed FREL/FRL. Based on the requirements outlined in annex to decision 14/CP.19 , data and information provided in the REDD+ technical annex to the BUR are:
- Summary information from the final assessment report of each FREL/FRL, which includes the:
- assessed FREL/FRL expressed in tCO2eq per year
- REDD+ activity or activities included in the FREL/FRL
- territorial forest area covered
- date of the FREL/FRL submission and the date of the final technical assessment report
- period (in years) of the assessed FREL/FRL.
- Results in tCO2eq per year, consistent with the assessed FREL/FRL;
- Demonstration that the methodologies used to produce the results are consistent with those used to establish the assessed FREL/FRL
- A description of the national forest monitoring system (NFMS) and the institutional roles and responsibilities for MRV of the results
- Necessary information that allows for the reconstruction of the results
Decision 14/CP.19, paragraph 11a requires that the methodologies, definitions, comprehensiveness and the information submitted to the technical analysis should be consistent with those submitted to the technical assessment of the FREL/FRL.
Countries may wish to note that in the case of subnational monitoring and reporting of REDD+ activities, decision 1/CP.16, paragraph 71 (c) (recalled by decision 14/CP.19 ) requests monitoring and reporting on emissions displacement at the national level, if appropriate, as well as reporting on how displacement of emissions is being addressed, and on means of integration of subnational monitoring systems into the NFMS. In respect of 1(e) above the period referred to is presumably the period over which data were used to construct the FREL/FRL. Consistency as referred to in 3) above presumably entails that methodologies, data sources and assumptions submitted to the technical analysis should be the consistent with those submitted to the technical assessment. A more extensive discussion of technical terms related to FRELs and FRLs is presented in Chapter 2, Section 2.3.3.
To use the most recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change guidance and guidelines, as adopted or encouraged by the Conference of the Parties, as appropriate, as a basis for estimating anthropogenic forest-related greenhouse gas emissions by sources and removals by sinks, forest carbon stocks and forest area changes.
To establish, according to national circumstances and capabilities, robust and transparent national forest monitoring systems and, if appropriate, subnational systems as part of national monitoring systems that: